The Westin Nova Scotian offers an eco friendly hotel for your next green Halifax meeting. Our hotel has received a 4 leaf rating out of 5 with Green Key Global and with The Audubon Green Leaf Eco-Rating Program.* This program is set-up by TerraChoice Environmental Marketing and Audubon International.
What does the Westin Nova Scotian provide for a greener environment?
- In January 2006 the Westin chain of hotels became smoke free in all guest rooms and common areas, offering guests and staff a clean atmosphere and minimizing the chemicals used to clean our rooms.
- In 2008 the hotel converted its heating and cooking methods from oil to natural gas.
- Water coolers and glasses are used in our meeting rooms, instead of small bottles of water, to minimize the negative impact of plastic on the environment.
- Compact Fluorescent Lights (energy efficient lighting) are used property wide.
- The Hotel has a food composting program and also donates food to the local food bank.
- All laundry chemicals are phosphate free.
- 90% of the refrigerators are air-cooled. In summertime water from the water-cooled units is recycled to cool refrigerators and air conditioning, reducing water wastage.
- Aerators are used to restrict the amount of flowing water from showers and sinks. All toilets are low flow.
- The Westin Guest Room Green Program provides an environmental card for guests who would like to have towels and linen changed. This program saves chemicals and energy.
- Heavy concentration on recycling of cardboard, paper, cans, glass, tin, bottles, plastic and kitchen waste.
- All departments, offices, staff areas and meeting room facilities are equipped with blue boxes and all employees are trained in recycling procedures.
- Paperless registration and e-mailed reservation confirmation systems are used to reduce paper.
- Usage of local food products to reduce transportation and promote local producers.
- Donate unused shampoo and conditioner to local shelters.
- Annual Management Team Builder: collecting garbage around our city.
- Complimentary valet parking for guests who drive a Hybrid vehicle.
*The Audubon International Green Leaf Eco-Rating Program is acknowledged by the Government of Canada’s
PWGSC travel website for Federal Government employees.